Due to Google's ongoing bigotry against the gun community, I have moved my blog here, and I will not be updating this site.

Please join me.

Friday, April 22, 2011

Practice for Competition, Part 2 - Target Transition

                                               Oops. I dropped a shot.


Most of the time I’m not able to get to an outdoor range and set up stages to shoot for practice. More often, when I do get to practice live fire, it’s in an indoor range. Here’s how I make the best of that practice time.

The best thing I practice indoors is improving my transition times between targets, and making sure my follow up shots to the same target are clean and fast.

First, I need to cheat. Since it’s tough to put multiple full size targets on a typical indoor range holder, the GlockFAQ has several competition targets that are scaled to 1/3 the normal size. This means that I can put the target at 25 feet and they are sized to be the same as if the full size target were at 25 yards. You can find those targets at http://glockfaq.com/targets.htm.

So, I mount two targets in one holder, and move the holder out to the desired distance. I start at about 15 feet, but I move it out as the session goes along. You’ll find that the farther you practice, the easier the closer shots get.

Unless your range allows drawing from a holster, all drills begin with the pistol in the GSSF start position - elbows at your side and pistol pointed down range. If you can draw, then draw, if you are practicing for USPSA or IDPA.

Here are my drills:

  • Fire one shot on the target and stop. Repeat until you are smooth and can do this in under 2 seconds.


  • Two shots on one target and stop. Take a 10 second break or so, then repeat, until you can make the first shot in under 2 seconds and both shots are in the center of the target


  • One shot on one target, then transition to the other target and fire one shot. Repeat until you are smooth and both shots are on target.


  • Two shots on one target, then transition to the other target and fire two shots. Repeat until you are smooth and both shots are on target.


  • Two shots on one target, then transition to the other target and fire two shots, then transition back to the first target and fire two shots . . . continued for 4 or 6 or 8 shots.


  • If your range allows reloads, load 6 rounds into one magazine and 6 in another. Shoot on three targets, reload, then three more.


  • Get creative. Fire two on one target, transition to the other target and make a head shot, then back.


  • An hour’s time and 100 rounds can make a big difference.