Due to Google's ongoing bigotry against the gun community, I have moved my blog here, and I will not be updating this site.

Please join me.

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Product Review - IPSC Shot Timer for Android


I've always wanted a shot timer, so I can tell if what I'm practicing is really improving my times. Until now, this has meant spending $150 or more on a "real" shot timer. But I recently upgraded to an Android smart phone, and a quick search showed - you guessed it - there's an app for that.

The IPSC Shot Timer v. 0.9.3 beta was created by Ivan Stoiliarov, and is available free at http://www.handster.com/ipsc_shot_timer.html, and through the Android Market.

This timer meets my needs, and I like it, for a number of reasons. First, the microphone is sensitive enough that I can use it while dry firing. I use it to time my draw to the first shot, and it's very good for that use. It features an adjustable lag between pressing the start button and the sounding of the buzzer to start the timing, which takes away the chance of me learning to jump the timer.

Like most timers, you can review split times and total time. You can also save strings of fire for review or download later.

Reviews of this product have complained that it doesn't work as well with live fire, because most phones' microphones are too sensitive and are overloaded. I have to admit I haven't used it in live fire yet. I will try it the next time I go to the range, and report on it then.

The Android Shot Timer is a great addition to my dry firing practice tools. And you certainly can't beat the price.