Due to Google's ongoing bigotry against the gun community, I have moved my blog here, and I will not be updating this site.

Please join me.

Friday, July 22, 2011

UN Small Arms Treaty Response from Senator Saxby Chambliss

Last month I wrote about the UN Small Arms Treaty, which you may have read some about in other outlets, and probably got an email or two about.

I wrote my Senators, Saxby Chambliss and Johnny Isakson, as well as my Congressman, Dr. Phil Gingrey.

I received an email from Senator Chambliss this morning that I'd like to share.

Dear Mr. L:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the United Nations Small Arms Treaty. It is good to hear from you.

On December 6, 2006, the United Nations General Assembly adopted Resolution 89, which is aimed to promulgate a new international treaty on the global trade in conventional arms. The resolution, "towards an arms trade treaty; establishing common international standards for the import, export and transfer of conventional arms," was adopted without the support of the United States, under the Bush Administration; however, the Obama Administration recently reversed this decision, and announced that the United States would support negotiations on the condition they were, "under the rule of consensus decision-making needed to ensure that all countries can be held to standards that will actually improve the global situation."

Currently, there are preparatory committee meetings taking place in anticipation of a 2012 conference to finalize the treaty. In response to these meetings, Senator Moran (R-KS) sent a letter to President Obama and Secretary Clinton expressing strong concerns with the treaty. I joined him on this letter, and I will continue to closely monitor this situation. Should legislation come before the full Senate, I will keep your thoughts in mind.

If you would like to receive timely email alerts regarding the latest congressional actions and my weekly e-newsletter, please sign up via my web site at: www.chambliss.senate.gov . Please let me know whenever I may be of assistance.

As I said in my original post, there are enough pro-Second Amendment Senators that I doubt any such treaty would be ratified. I will keep in touch with him on this.

I await a response from the others but I will, of course, share them as they come in.