Due to Google's ongoing bigotry against the gun community, I have moved my blog here, and I will not be updating this site.

Please join me.

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Product Review - M.A.D.S. from M2 Corporation



You're armed with your Glock pistol, or a 1911, and you're attacked. But, because of the situation, you can't shoot. Maybe what's behind your target prohibits you from shooting - remember Rule 4? But you're close enough to use the gun as a striking weapon. If only you had something built in that would make this something more than the classic pistol whipping.

The Magazine Auxiliary Defense System, or M.A.D.S., from M2 Corporation, is a replacement floor plate for the Glock magazine. It features a pair of aggressively crenelated fins that protrude from the baseplate, and is designed to give the gun owner a back-up means of self defense, when circumstances keep him or her from shooting.

I received a couple of M.A.D.S. floor plates from Michael Wogelius, CEO of M2, to test, one for the Glock, and one set for a 1911. Since I only have Glocks, I'm probably going to give the other set to a friend with a 1911.

The floor plate easily replaces the normal floor plate on a FML or Gen4 Glock magazine. First, remove the old floor plate, using a Glock Armorer tool, or a punch - insert the tool through the hole in the bottom of the floor plate, disengaging the magazine insert from the hole in the floor plate. Leverage the floor plate toward the curved edge of the magazine. The floor plate will slide off of the underlying magazine insert and off the end of the magazine body. Be careful - the magazine spring is under a lot of tension, and it will come out.

Then, re-compress the magazine spring back into the magazine body, and follow it with the magazine insert. Then install the new M.A.D.S. floor plate in place of the old one.

It's that easy.

M2 points out that the installed M.A.D.S. floor plate also acts as a way to grasp the bottom of the magazine in inclement weather, even with gloves on. I tried it using gloves and I had no problem.

The only problem I had was when I tried install the floor plate on an older, NFML magazine. Apparently the NFML magazine bodies are just a little shorter than the FML, and the M.A.D.S. floor plate was a little too thick to seat the magazine the first time. I had to press fairly hard to get it to seat. My recommendation, therefore, would be for users not to use this on NFML magazines, to prevent inadvertently losing your magazine because it wasn't latched in place. (I know, because the first time I tried it, the magazine fell on the floor. Not good.)

Also, the Glock floor plates only fit the smaller frame Glock magazines, not the .45ACP or 10mm magazines. I don't know if M2 has plans to introduce those, but I know there are a lot of folks with these larger guns who might be interested.

As with any defense technique, the M.A.D.S. system would take training and practice to use effectively. My concern would be that I would inadvertently put my finger on the trigger if I used my pistol as a striking weapon. But in trained hands, there is no arguing that a blow connected by a M.A.D.S. floor plate would definitely leave a mark, both physically and psychologically.

For further information, contact M2 Corporation at www.m2corporation.com.



The M.A.D.S. kit (gun, magazine, and armorer tool not included)


The M.A.D.S. floor plate installed. Wicked.







FTC Disclaimer: I was approached by M2 Corporation through LinkedIn and offered a free M.A.D.S. system, in exchange for a review, and photos of it on my gun. I received no other compensation, and the views and opinions expressed here are my own.