Due to Google's ongoing bigotry against the gun community, I have moved my blog here, and I will not be updating this site.

Please join me.

Monday, August 22, 2011

What Do You Mean, I Don't Have to Register?

Twice in the last month, I've talked to gun newbies who seem shocked and concerned to find out that the guns they legally own do not have to be registered. When I explain that Georgia, and indeed most of the United States, does not require gun registration, nor does it require gun owners to be licensed or registered, they look at me like I'm a radical liar. In fact, Georgia only requires a license if you plan to carry the gun concealed or open outside of your home, business, or automobile.

In both cases, the people even went so far as to ask me why Georgia doesn't require guns to be registered. Sorry, fellows, I can't disprove a negative, all I could do is turn the tables a little.

Why would you want guns registered?
To keep track of them.

Why do you want to keep track of them? To keep them out of the hands of criminals.

That won't work. Criminals are perfectly fine with robbing and murdering you. Why would they pay attention to gun registration laws if they don't pay attention to any other laws? They're criminals! So I'll ask again,

Why do you want to keep track of them? I don't know . . .

Here is why, from our cousins down under: gun registration always leads to confiscation, even from law abiding people.

The weapons were held legally by registered gun owners, but police intelligence revealed 20 had "connections to family or associates who were persons of interest to the Acer Taskforce team".

Officers simultaneously hit 21 properties at 8am to ensure the licence holders were complying with all conditions.

A total of 21 guns - including 15 shotguns and ammunition for an AK47 rife - were seized.

The raids came after two men - one being convicted criminal Omar Taha - were shot dead at CBD Smash Repairs in Florence St, Brunswick, on Thursday afternoon.

A third man, Ali Kassab, 25, is believed to have been shot in the arm and leg and is receiving treatment at the Royal Melbourne Hospital while under arrest and with a police guard.

All three men were known to police and it is believed the shooting happened because of a $50,000 debt.

Emphasis mine.

Notice that police seized legally held guns, from people not involved in the crimes in any way, because a bunch of criminals shot each other up over a debt. But shootings aren't supposed to happen in Australia, so they looked at their gun registration list, and found some "connections" "to persons of interest," and went and grabbed the guns. Mission Accomplished, the world is now safe. It was that easy.

Few gun rights issues get me as worked up as registration. My two friends know that now. I'm sending them a copy of this so they know why.


H/T Days of our Trailers: Registration Leads To Confiscation....Always