Due to Google's ongoing bigotry against the gun community, I have moved my blog here, and I will not be updating this site.

Please join me.

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Once More - Power In Numbers


If you read anything about shooting other than this blog, you know our Second Amendment rights are under attack like never before, even as more and more Supreme Court decisions confirm the self-defense right of the individual, and more and more states and localities do away with outmoded restrictions based on fear and mis-information.

That's why it's more important than ever that all shooters are members of the shooting rights organizations that are fighting for those rights.

The National Rifle Association is the 800 pound gorilla of the gun rights world. Say what you will about the politics and controversy, but you have to agree that when they call, they get appointments, and people listen. If you don't like their constant stream of solicitations, do like I do - drop them in the recycle bin. But keep your membership current, or, do like I did 15 years ago. Use their extended payment plan to become a Life Member. Yes, they will continue to ask you to upgrade, but now you don't have to do it, and you get a gun magazine every month for the rest of your life.


The Second Amendment Foundation is the group responsible for the Heller and McDonald Supreme Court cases, as well as the Ezell ruling which will eventually overturn the Chicago gun ban. This kind of work takes money, and $15 a year is well worth it.


But don't stop there. Tip O'Neill once said that all politics is local, and that's true in gun rights as well. Join your state gun rights group, and any local groups in your area.

I was going to put together a list of the state gun rights groups, but I found there is a great list on the lower right of the links on the main page at The Gun Wire. Check it out. Join.


WHY JOIN GUN RIGHTS GROUPS?
or
WHY DO YOU GIVE YOUR MONEY TO LOBBYISTS?

I'm asked that all the time. Here's my answer.

The First Amendment says

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Emphasis mine

I don't have the time or money to go to Atlanta or Washington and talk to all the people who can take away my gun rights.

But I can join with millions of others, and put our money together, and pay them to do it for us.

It's our right. And if the person I'm talking with respects my First Amendment right, then respecting the Second Amendment should follow.