Due to Google's ongoing bigotry against the gun community, I have moved my blog here, and I will not be updating this site.

Please join me.

Monday, November 7, 2011

Fall Back, Get Ahead


Just like remembering to change the batteries in your smoke detectors, the change of time from Standard to Daylight Savings Time and back again affords us a built in reminder to do those things we need to do every 6 months, or yearly.

For instance, I change batteries in every clock in my house on New Year's Day. It's a reminder of the fleeting nature of time, and I usually have a bunch of batteries I got on sale for Christmas.

So, Sunday I took the opportunity to do some of those things I always do once a year.

I detail stripped my Glocks and checked all the things I usually don't check, like recoil springs, firing pin springs, and firing pin cups. (Everything was fine.)

I baked the desiccant bags from my gun safes, to restore them. (I know, I should do this monthly. It's now on my calendar.)

I unpacked my Get Home Bag, and checked all the items against my checklist. (You never know when I've taken something out and forgotten to replace it.) I also ran the blanket and sleeping bag through a fluffy cycle in my dryer. I replaced all the water bottles with fresh ones, and replaced the box of granola bars. (Guess what my snacks are this week . . . )

I did an ammunition inventory. I will then put that against my calendar of upcoming matches and shooting outings to decide when I need to buy more.

I took all my long guns out of the safe, and cleaned out the bottom of the safe (so that's where that went) and re-positioned the spacers that hold up the guns. I then wiped down my guns with a good oily rag, and put everything back in neatly. Man, that looked nice.

One embarrassing confession - I took photos of a lot of this, but I also blew off my whole yard with the leaf blower, put together a new roll-around tool box, and put together a new fire pit. So, I didn't get a chance to download the pictures. It's just as well, some of these tasks will make good stand alone posts later this week.




Oh, I also set my clocks back an hour.