Due to Google's ongoing bigotry against the gun community, I have moved my blog here, and I will not be updating this site.

Please join me.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Pistol Choices

I've recently read several posts from other bloggers about their choices of Every Day Carry (EDC) pistols, and how they arrived at those choices. This got me thinking about my own thought processes, what I've chosen, and why.


GLOCKS


Anyone who's read this blog more than once knows that I own Glocks. While I sometimes play the devil's advocate to others about their gun choices, I'm not going to fault anyone for choosing the guns they own.


I can, though, tell you why I own my Glocks.

G21, G17, G19


I bought my first Glock 17, Bruce, in 1992. At the time, Glock was about the only affordable "high capacity" handgun on the market. I picked 9mm for the same reason I have them now - availability and cost of ammo. It helps that modern 9mm defensive ammo is almost ballistically comparable to .45ACP. But that's another posting.


I got my other two Glocks, a G21SF and a G19, by way of my membership in the Glock Sport Shooting Foundation. The G21SF I bought at the Law Enforcement price, and the G19 I won in a GSSF match. So my choices of gun came about as much by serendipity as it did by conscious choice. 


My next choice in a handgun will probably be a Glock, because I and my family already know how to run them, and I already have spare parts, magazines, holsters, and the like.


Now, if a similar circumstance arose for me to acquire a similar striker fired polymer gun, I wouldn't hesitate to do so. With enough practice and training, I and my family would learn to run them just as well.


Having said that, I don't think I would ever get a 1911 as a home defense or personal carry gun. There are several reasons for that.


In my home, besides me, are my wife, son , and daughter. Each of them has shot and trained with these guns. They know how they work, and they are comfortable shooting them. In an emergency, I would not hesitate to assign them each a Glock, and they would not hesitate to carry it and shoot it if need be.


However, the weight, reliability, and complexity of the 1911 precludes my family from ever being able to rely on them. This can best be illustrated by relating a story I heard from someone who is a frequent guest on a lot of the podcasts I listen to, who claimed that the 1911 was a superior gun precisely because it was so complicated that, if he lost it or it were taken away, an assailant would not be able to operate it. I thought that was one of the most ridiculous statements I had ever heard, especially since I am more likely to need to enlist someone's assistance than I am to lose a gun to an assailant.


So, here is the current batting order, as it were:


Batting first, as EDC, is my Glock 21SF. About 90 percent of the time I carry it on a belt holster.


Batting second, in the top shelf of my pistol safe, is my Glock 17. It also doubles as my competition gun.


Batting third, on the bottom shelf of my pistol safe, is my Glock 19. 


Now, when the Glock 17 goes off to compete, the G19 pinch hits, and moves to the top shelf of the safe, with a G17 magazine installed. 


And, in the times when circumstances preclude my carrying the G21, the G19  goes in a IWB holster under a tee shirt or polo. The G21 goes on the bottom shelf of the safe.


Note how this is arranged: there's always a 9mm Glock on the top shelf of the safe, and there are always loaded spare G17 magazines on top of the safe with a flashlight. There are also loaded G17 magazines in other places around the house.


In case of zombie apocalypse, I would take the G21, my wife would take the G17, and either my son or daughter would take the G19. In that event, I would also take the Mosssberg 500. We would also move the the lower half of the lineup, and break out the SKS, Ruger 10/22, and Browning Buck Mark. And, in the extreme case that the Mongols are coming over the hill and we need to go long, there is also a Mosin Nagant.


++++


COMING: How the guns we have figure into a matrix of preparedness - who is involved and what are we up against.