Due to Google's ongoing bigotry against the gun community, I have moved my blog here, and I will not be updating this site.

Please join me.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Today's Safety Class - Negligent Discharge

Good day, class. Please settle down.

First, for those of you who asked, YES, there will be a quiz. Every day. But you won't know when it is. And if you fail, you may not know it.

Second, for today's class, I have brought in a guest speaker, a man named Derek "Tex" Grebner. Please pay attention to his video.

Someone please get the lights.



Okay, okay, okay. Settle down.

Lots of lessons to learn here, students.

First, never attempt a new pistol technique with a loaded weapon. Especially the first time. Or probably for the first 10 times. Do this very slowly, with a training partner, until you are both sure you can do it without any problem. Then do it another 20 times before you load up. Then do it s l o w l y.

To me, the second lesson is that this is why I don't like holsters with retention devices on them. This whole thing happened, admittedly, because the first holster he used - with another gun - had a retention device that was in the same place as the thumb safety on a 1911. Bad design, no matter what. Your mileage my vary, but I won't own one.

Third, if you don't have a first aid kit in your range bag, get one. You should have one with you every time you go shoot. If you look on your syllabus, we will cover First Aid next week. Those of you who get queasy looking at blood, get over it.

I'm glad he came out of all this safe. And I'm sorry he's going to spend the rest of his life serving as a warning to the rest of us. But that's the risk we all take.

Class dismissed.

Oh, hey, please look out for the quiz later.