Due to Google's ongoing bigotry against the gun community, I have moved my blog here, and I will not be updating this site.

Please join me.

Monday, September 19, 2011

Good Weekend


My weekend started well. I shot the monthly Action Pistol match at River Bend Gun Club in Dawsonville, Georgia. This match consists of three stages that are moderately challenging, involving a mix of steel and paper targets.

This month there were over 60 participants, including a group of Cadets from The Military College of Georgia, located at North Georgia College and State University, shown above. They shot in full combat gear including loaded rucks - talk about Train as you Play. Fortunately for me, they were shooting Limited to my Production. I felt unworthy.

I finished fifth out of ten in Production, 0.01 points back of fourth and 0.38 points behind third. Looks like my two weeks of dry fire practice is paying off.

+++

After the match, the club served a free hotdog lunch, then I was on the road home. I made it home at halftime of my alma mater Georgia Tech's game against Kansas. The Yellow Jackets pulled away in the second half, winning 66 - 24.

+++

Sunday was a cleanup day. Next week is the Glock Annual Shoot at the South River Gun Club in Conyers, GA, the largest GSSF match of the year. To get ready, I completely detail stripped and cleaned Bruce, my G17, and the Duke, my G21, since I plan to shoot them in the match.

I also detail stripped Bucky, my Browning Buck Mark .22LR pistol. Between Bucky and my 10/22 Captain America I've shot over 1,500 rounds of ammo, without cleaning Bucky at all. To say the gun was dirty is an understatement. I spent a lot of time with gun scrub spray and buff pads.

I also did a little internal work, mostly polishing, that I read about on Rimfire Central.

One thing I know, if I am going to compete with Bucky, I will need to install an extended magazine release. I was not blessed with normal thumbs, and pressing the release now requires me to shift the gun quite a bit. In fact, while practicing mag changes, I found I needed to use my off hand to hold the gun around the trigger guard, then shift my hand to press the release. I can't imagine how this will work in a match, with a hot gun, and the adrenaline flowing.

I tried drilling and tapping the existing magazine release button, but I found the material is too hard for me to do a good job. I will likely buy one off the interwebz.

I also played around with different sighting ideas on my 10/22 and Buck Mark. Right now I have a 2 - 6 x 40mm scope on the 10/22 and a red dot scope on the Buck Mark. In a .22 match, I would need something quick on the rifle, and I think I can make do with the scope at 2x. I tried the red dot, and that would work, but it leaves me with iron sights on the pistol. I might spring for a reflex sight for the pistol, which would be quicker to use than the red dot.

I may also buy a 45 degree offset Weaver base for the 10/22, and mount either the red dot or a reflex sight on it, and set the scope to 4x or similar. It would still be fast to use.

It's a busy week ahead.