Due to Google's ongoing bigotry against the gun community, I have moved my blog here, and I will not be updating this site.

Please join me.

Monday, March 5, 2012

The First Death Knell for "May Issue?"

Alan Gura and the Second Amendment Foundation won another battle today, as a Federal judge ruled that Maryland's "may issue" concealed permit law, which required that citizens show a "good and substantial reason" why they need a gun for self defense, is unconstitutional.

Quoting U.S. District Judge Benson Everett Legg:

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

Amen.

+++++

How long until the other "may issue" states' laws go by the same way?

I am reminded of when I received my first concealed carry permit in Alabama. After everything was set, the Sheriff stuck his head out from his office, and looked me over, and approved the permit.

I didn't think much of it at the time, because I didn't know much about "may issue" and "shall issue" permits. But now I know that Alabama is a "may issue" state, meaning, the Sheriff has the last word on who does and does not get a permit. I guess I got lucky.

Of course, I'm white, which may have been a lot of the luck I needed.